 Off-Topic / Debate / 23941
Re: I'm Glad Bush is Standing by Rumsfeld
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 13 May 2004 12:13:00 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Don Heyse wrote:
Ok, let me try again.  I understand you don't like Bush, but
I asked what you like about Kerry, or Nader, or anybody else.
Is there nothing to like about them other than they're not
GWB?  You can't win an election on that.

Actually, you *can* win an election on that.  But Ok, here goes...

+  Kerry, by all accounts, served his country with honor and bravery in Viet
Nam, even though he could easily have dodged military service the way that Bush
and Cheney did.  On several occasions, he risked his own life in a dangerous
combat situation to save the life of another.
+  Kerry returned home from this conflict with the kind of appreciation for the
horrors of war that inspired him to speak up about the injustice of that war.
If the Commander-in-Chief is going to send young men and women into battle for
any purpose, I would hope that he understands that war is more than just a
photo-op on the deck of an aircraft carrier.
+  Kerry has served as U.S. Senator for my (and your) home state of
Massachusetts.  During his tenure in the senate, he has repeatedly demonstrated
compassion in representing the interests of the people of all 50 states.  He has
clearly shown an ability to understand both sides of an issue, and to achieve
compromise when an issue is not a clear black/white.

John Kerry may not be perfect by any means, but he has continually demonstrated
that he is motivated by serving the public interest of the American People.  On
the other hand, George Bush has continually demonstrated that he is motivated by
serving only the private interests of a small group.  To me, the choice is a
no-brainer.

Ralph Nader made his name as a consumer advocate, raising public awareness about
the dangers of the Ford Pinto.  Again, the motivation was to save lives and
protect the little guy by forcing a large corporation to withdraw a dangerous
product from the market.  I would much rather have someone like that running the
country than what we have today.

Ok, so you clearly support Bush even though you have not disputed any of the
points that I raised against him, and even though you claim to disagree with him
on many issues.  Why does he deserve your vote?  Is there anything to like about
him other than that he *is* GWB?

- Chris.