 Off-Topic / Debate / 23688
Re: Clearly those Canadians are concerned about censorship...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 2004 18:01:47 GMT

Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

Now we fully agree--but what's this knocking on the door?  Oh look, it's the
FCC.  Something about the letter F screams, oh I don't know, Federal or
something.  Sounds like governement intervention to me.  And once you play
that card, then you start the 'big brother' scenario--if I say this on the
air, I may get fined--therefore I will not say that on the air.'  The gov't
can sit back and say, "Well, we didn't censor anything!" but in a way they
did by the thought of the threat.  And that's a very difficult hill to get
over.  How can the political debaters feel 'free' enough to point out
perceived flaws in the system if they feel the system will punish them?  It
starts with the Sterns, et al, but the precident is then made.

Radio can't let Howard Stern say the F word, but The Who can in a song.  Never
hear it blipped out or censored.  Now there's hypocrisy.

That's a local thing - I've heard songs in CA and realized for the first time that
they were *NOT* recorded with silence or a bleep during obvious obscenity.

Now that I moved out of CA, I get to hear silence again ;-)

--
Tom Stangl
*http://www.vfaq.com/