 Off-Topic / Debate / 22330
22329  |  22331
Subject:
More of the Usual Lies
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 9 Oct 2003 20:56:08 GMT

Bush hits back at Iraq critics

Mr Bush’s speech was part of a new White House public relations offensive aimed at countering growing criticism of US policy in post-war Iraq, where US forces are coming under fire daily and suffering mounting casualties.

“America must not forget the lessons of 11 September,” Mr Bush said.

Bush marks 6 months since Saddam’s fall

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/10/09/sprj.irq.main/index.html

In Iraq, U.S. civilian administrator L. Paul Bremer recalled April 9, when Marines and Iraqis pulled down a statue of Saddam Hussein in Baghdad. He spoke to reporters at Baghdad’s Firdos Square, where the statue once stood, and was accompanied by Iyad Allawi, president of the Iraqi Governing Council.

“You know, like millions of other people around the world, I watched Saddam’s statue being pulled down here six months ago today. Of course, I did little realize that I’d be here six months later with the president of the Governing Council. But it was a very exciting moment for lovers of freedom the world over.”

To understand precisely how the “media” cooperates with the White House in spreading disinformation you need to understand that the accompanying photo of the toppling of a statue of Saddam has already been debunked (see: http://nyc.indymedia.org/front.php3?article_id=55268&group=webcast) as pointedly misleading. The repeated use of this image reinforces a false story implied by the image, the same false story that was spread about the first time you saw the footage of this statue falling: that there was a multitude of Iraqis involved in this “statue toppling” when it only involved a few Iraqis and was another U.S. staged event to create support for the war. A kind of “See? The Iraqis are on our side” kind of thing. You know that Iraqis are not on our side because they are shooting at the Americans occupying their country, basically 24/7. War is not a game of football -- you do not win it by performing some stupid goal-oriented act like toppling a statue. Most wars are won by attrition, you fight your opponent until he cannot fight against you anymore.

The first story from BBC is interesting because it shows that Shrub is still spreading the same lies as before and during the war (well, the war is ongoing and Americans are still dying; but our “loving” and “caring” president said it was over so it must be true, right?). What meaning does the following statement have: “America must not forget the lessons of 11 September”? The statement has no meaning unless you want to imply that there is a link between Iraq and 9-11, which is a known falsehood. People in this forum have questioned how Shrub lies -- and this is how he does it: he lies by implication. By not always actually stating bald-faced lies he maintains plausible deniability. Many of us are not deceived by this charlatan’s tricks though...

Politicians sell ideas like ad agencies sell you products: by sleight of hand and the creation of false and misleading associations. Don’t buy what you don’t need.

The war in Iraq is predicated on a series of lies and false implications. Question assumptions about the war with the same vigor you might put into investigating a new home or car that you may wish to purchase. You wouldn’t buy a house built on quicksand, right? Would you pursue a course of action when you knew the basis for pursuing it was pointedly false?

If you already believe the reasons for going to war against Iraq were false and misleading, I ask you this: what were the real reasons for going to war with Iraq? Of course, you well realize that establishing the lie is only half the story -- the rest is figuring out what truths the lies are intended to conceal.

-- Hop-Frog