 Off-Topic / Debate / 2185
Re: McDonald's, LEGO and Ethics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 14:26:20 GMT

Below is something I read a while back about Coke in schools.  I am curious how
"Coke Day" could be considared academic.  I guess it teaches uniformity.

My college became Coke Free at the expense of gaining Pepsi.  It was wierd- it
seemed like they switched the vending machines overnight.  Instead of having a
Coke, Pepsi, and juice machine you had three Pepsi machines.  They couldn't sell
Nantucket Necters either in the cafeterias which they replaced with some awful
artificially flavored juice.  Aluminum cans went away giving us those 20oz
plastic bottles which the campus recycling system wasn't able to deal with at
the time.  Plastic bottles were overflowing the trash bins spilling onto the
floor.  Full campus plastics recycling was started a few weeks later.

It was kinda good at the same time because the lab I was working in needed about
500 'plant condoms' for which empty Pepsi bottles work nicely.  That's another
story though.

--------------------
AP 3/26/98

TEEN'S PEPSI T-SHIRT TRICK WRONG CHOICE FOR COKE DAY

Evans, Ga. - If Mike Cameron's idea of a joke was wearing a
Pepsi T-shirt on Coke Day , it sure fell flat with school officials.

They suspended him, saying that the shirt was an insult to
visiting Coca Cola executives and ruined a school picture in
which students spelled out Coke.

After getting caught, Cameron was sent to the principal's office,
where he got a lecture on how he "might have cost the school 10
grand."

"In my eyes I didn't do anything wrong," the 19 year old senior
said yesterday while serving his one day suspension.

"It's not a Coke-Pepsi war issue,"said Gloria Hamilton, principal
of Greenbrier High School in Evans, about 130 miles east of
Atlanta, the world headquarters of Coca-Cola. "It has nothing to
do with that. It a a student deliberately being disruptive and
rude."

Friday's Coke in Education Day was part of Greenbrier's effort to
win a $500 local contest run by the Coca-Cola Bottling Co. of
Augusta and a national contest with a $10,000 prize.

-Chris

At the school my kids go to there is Coca-Cola everywhere! Coca-Colas is
advertised through out the school, including the football field. Plus, it is
sold all over the school. They used to sell Pepsi and Coke, until Coca-Cola
started this major sponsership thing and they banned all things Pepsi (except
Frito Lays.