 Off-Topic / Debate / 2120
2119  |  2121
Subject:
McDonald's, LEGO and Ethics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 18:32:02 GMT

I came back from vacation this week and saw the news about the McD's
Drive-through promotional kit and hit an ethical dilemma.  I used to be(still
am?) an anti-McDonalds activist.  I sat outside restaurants passing out fliers
and stickers for hours when I was in college.  Then I went home and played with
LEGO. The happy meal promotions never really bothered me, for they usually only
had BASIC pieces which I already had enough of.  Now i find myself in need of
two red train window frames.  What do I do?

How far will these promotions/tie-ins go?  Everywhere I look nowadays products
are advertising each other.  You can barely watch a new movie nowadays without
seeing at least one product placement within it.  Maybe the same is happening to
LEGO.  I had this dream last night that the only LEGO you could buy would be a
'McDonald's', an 'Exxon(or Shell?)' gas station, a 'Pizza Hut' delivery car, a
'Citibank' bank, a 'Dow' Chemical Plant, and a 'Monsanto' farm kit.  And the
truly scary part is LEGO is marketed to kids.  Is the TLG helping to teach our
kids to be good little consumers?

Any opinions.

-Chris

Christopher Tracey