 Off-Topic / Debate / 2119
2118  |  2120
Subject:
New Zealand (was: Re: Latter Day Saints (was:Re: God and the Devil and forgiveness (was Re: POV-RAY orange color)))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 16:50:32 GMT

<FHrGyG.6pn@lugnet.com> <FHsKoE.DwJ@lugnet.com>

"Moz (Chris Moseley)" wrote:
I suspect you meant the opposite, in which case New Zealand is the answer.
NZ was formed by treaty between its inhabitants and the Bristish crown,
after a period during which the British failed miserably to subdue or
exterminate the Maori. When it became obviously impossible the British
signed a treaty rather than risk the country becoming a French colony
(bleakly amusing, given our history of dispute with the French ever since).

So what is the relationship between the Maori and the English there now?
Are they all interbred and one big happy family?  Are the Maori like
the Australian Aborigines - essentially second class citizens?  How
common are Maori?  Are you Native, European, both, or neither?

Thanks,

Chris