 Off-Topic / Debate / 2118
Re: 22/7 & infinities (was: Re: The nature of the JC god, good or evil?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 15:10:48 GMT

Warning: LONG MESSAGE!

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, John DiRienzo writes:
  Actually, the original posts were about what is a life affirming set of
morals (the one Larry accepted when it was presented to him).  It took me
awhile to explain it to you, and if you can keep everything together that I
have said, or if I can shorten it, you might get it.

Yep. As I said before, I was curious as to whether or not this was more a
straight consequentialist argument or one of both consequence and underlying
morality. I didn't see the morality put forth directly, just kind of hidden in
the background. I wanted to see if it was there. So, I tried to take away the
consequences via example to see if there was some underlying morality behind
your judgment calls. Ex: If someone steals something and there's no
consequences, is it wrong? First you argued that there are ALWAYS consequences,
so I tried refining again, until you finally said that stealing is wrong out of
principle-- it violates someone's rights. I have achieved an answer: you do
include rights in the 'life-affirming' philosophy.

Anyway, below, in this
post you show surprise that I include rights.  When our argument first began
and you made a bunch of examples, my first retort was that each was an
example of the infringement on anothers rights.  That was the reason each
action was not life arffirming - but you wanted, or I thought you wanted, a
big definition of life affirming as well as a bunch of other things (like
consequences).  Maybe I am just not a good debater or writer, but we came up
with a gaggle of sub-debates from there, which were for the most part
interesting.  If I omited rights somewhere long the way, I can only say I
did so because I take them as a given.  Our universal desire is to live in a
good society.  Recognizing others rights is a logical imperative, without
rights, we can only have chaos.

Well, as for being philosophical...

Thinking philosophically: