 Off-Topic / Debate / 2146
Re: McDonald's, LEGO and Ethics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 14:34:37 GMT

Christopher Tracey wrote:

That's pretty American(tm) of you.

THANKS!!! I appreciate the praise. :-)

I'm not sure if cross promotion necessarily
lowers the cost.  I'm not through thinking this out but it goes something like
this.  Take a recent kids movie such as the 'inspector gadget'.  A family sees
it, then they might go to McD's because it was featured in the film.  The kids
start wanting Skittles because there was a lot of them in the movie.  Then they
want the toys if there are any, etc. This just forces people to buy more, it's
the "I am not 'trendything' complete" syndrome.  Oh no, I do that with LEGO :)

Well, there's merit in your analysis, but I was referring to the cost to
the producer of the good rather than the consumer. Lowering producer
costs benefits the consumer in a free market. Not that we're entirely
free but we're freer than most.

My kids don't exist yet and when they do I am pretty sure I can guide them down
I a good path.  Of course, its their choice on what they want to be.

Excellent philosophy.

Do you work for the government directly or are you just a contractor
using a government email address? Just curious.

Contractor, 10 more months and I'm off to grad school.  Why do you ask?

Oh, just tempted to draw sweeping generalizations from insufficient
data, that's all.

lugnet.