 Off-Topic / Debate / 2128
Re: McDonald's, LEGO and Ethics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 21:03:12 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
Buy 3225 and part out/sell off the rest of it, including the other 4
train windows. No ethical problem.

I know about the six red windows in 3225, although I was going to order some
stuff from s@h soon that would be enough to get me a McD's.  So now that I know
i can get something for free such as red windows, I want them. I am just just as
human as most people out there.  My dilemma was 'Do I refuse the free set?' or
'Get it and auction it' of 'keep it for the parts and destroy the ones I don't
need?'.

If cross promotion lowers the cost of goods to me I don't have an issue with it.

That's pretty American(tm) of you.  I'm not sure if cross promotion necessarily
lowers the cost.  I'm not through thinking this out but it goes something like
this.  Take a recent kids movie such as the 'inspector gadget'.  A family sees
it, then they might go to McD's because it was featured in the film.  The kids
start wanting Skittles because there was a lot of them in the movie.  Then they
want the toys if there are any, etc. This just forces people to buy more, it's
the "I am not 'trendything' complete" syndrome.  Oh no, I do that with LEGO :)

And if your kids are little consumers, seems like that's your
issue, not mine. You may want to look into more effective parenting
techniques.

My kids don't exist yet and when they do I am pretty sure I can guide them down
I a good path.  Of course, its their choice on what they want to be.

Do you work for the government directly or are you just a contractor
using a government email address? Just curious.

Contractor, 10 more months and I'm off to grad school.  Why do you ask?

-Chris