 Off-Topic / Debate / 21613
Re: A small rant...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 2003 20:46:45 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

   Those that risk nothing for freedom do not value it or the sacrifices of those that did. In other words, the Iraqis needed to decide their own fate.

Richard had made this point a while ago elsewhere and I admit that its truth gave me pause. I still think that liberating the Iraqis was a morally good thing to do, but I agree that we cannot force them to accept Freedom and Democracy. It is chilling, sad, downright incontheivable that such a gift wouldn’t be totally embraced.

Have you seen how your version of ‘democracy’ is doing right now? Let’s play a game--let’s ask people around the world whether they want to be a insert their country here or an American.

That would be a poll I’d love to see.

Riots in the streets, fighting, killing, looting, xenophobic views of the rest of the world... I can see why people would love to embrace your values.

   JOHN

Dave K