 Off-Topic / Debate / 21607
Re: A small rant...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 2003 16:12:17 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Stefan Garcia wrote:
Hi all,

Just wanted to vent/share some of my frustration with people about the ongoing
Iraq war.  So with that warning...

To reply (again...)

From the Democratic Underground website (partisan, I know, but if the points are
valid, who cares where the source is from?)

"
For some time, many on the Left have been using a working hypothesis about the
invasion of Iraq. This morning's accusations and denials by Dr. Rice present no
reason to abandon it. Indeed, there is every reason to embrace it tighter.

The hypothesis is elaborate, and may be stated as follows:

• The war against Iraq and the occupation of that nation is colonial.

• The purpose of the war and occupation is:

- To take control of Iraq natural resources and place them in the hands of
multinational corporations based in the US which paid the bills for Mr. Bush's
political career;

- To assure that the business of reconstructing the infrastructure of a
post-Saddam Iraq would go to multinational corporations based in the US which
paid the bills for Mr. Bush's political career;

- To impose the neo-liberal economic paradigm on Iraq in order to open markets
for multinational corporations based in the US which paid the bills for Mr.
Bush's political career and with which native Iraqi businesses cannot compete;

- To initiate the implementation of a grand colonial design put forward in the
last decade by a group of rightwing ideologues under the name Project for the
New American Century (PNAC).
• The war had nothing to with fighting terrorism, disarming a rogue state of
weapons of mass destruction, enforcing UN resolutions or liberating anyone from
a brutal dictator.

• Everyone in the Bush administration knew very well they could not sell the war
to the American people or to the world for the real reasons.

• In order to sell the war, they alternately claimed the war to be about
fighting terrorism, disarming a rogue state of weapons of mass destruction,
enforcing UN resolutions and liberating the Iraqi people from a brutal dictator;

• Since those weren't the real reasons for the war, but merely pretexts for
public relations purposes, the veracity of facts used to support them were not
as important as the impact they had on the public.
"

<snip>

-Stefan-

<snip>