 Off-Topic / Debate / 21603
21602  |  21604
Subject:
A small rant...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 2003 15:13:46 GMT

Hi all,

Just wanted to vent/share some of my frustration with people about the ongoing
Iraq war.  So with that warning...

To all the media, populace, and politicians whining about the war going on too
long and having too many American casualties...WHAT ELSE DO YOU EXPECT IN A
MILITARY CONFLICT!?!?  We're INVADING a foreign country in an area with
Anti-American sentiment, suspicious of our true purposes.  Compare this war to
the Korean war or Vietnam or just about any conflict prior to Gulf War I, and
the numbers pale.  And U.S. forces did succeed already in toppling Saddam's
rule.

To all the Iraqis whining that things were actually better when Saddam kept
order, the road to freedom and independence is a hard and rocky one.  At least
now they can speak freely, even about how they don't like us.

To all the soldiers over there whining that they're tired of the govt screwing
with 'em and that they don't want to be over there anymore; tough.  Despite
their training, they're exhibiting the same kind of selfish damned Americanism
that makes the rest of the world dislike (if not hate) us.  Tireless service to
their country is what they signed up for when they signed up for the army.
Getting to use the Abrams is just a perk.

To all those saying Bush is an idiot for going to war and that he lied to us; I
disagree.  If there's one guy whose head should get lopped off for this, it's
Tenet (Dir., CIA).  That guy is a weasel, not to be trusted.  Remember those
Senate hearings a while back?  I saw a bit of them on C-Span or some such, and
he barely managed to hide his contempt for the senators.  I *personally* think
he was trying to get Bush out of office and that this is all blowing up in his
face.  The thing most people don't seem to understand or remember is that Bush
is a Texan.  As such, he has a different vocabulary than Clinton.  He's not an
idiot, he's just less formal.  I'm sure he'd wear a Stetson in the White House
if he could.  He is a bit of a klutz though, but that's a personality trait.
Everyone seems to have conveniently forgotten that he helped lead the country
through one of the toughest days in recent American history (9-11) <*>.

Also, to anyone whining that we were too careless in bombing Iraq, we loaded the
B-52s with cruise missiles, not the massive load of sticks it can carry instead.
And we probably would've gotten Saddam if we'd carpet-bombed the heart of
Baghdad.

Which reminds me, to all those whining that we aren't finding any of those
"weapons of mass destruction," remember that because Bush chose to go to the UN
and try to get it's backing first, good 'ol Saddam had an additional, what, 2-3+
months to stash the weapons.  Add that of course to the DECADE he had already
had, knowing no doubt that one day we would come back to do what we should've
done in 1991, when his Army lay in ruins and the road to Baghdad lay open.  Oh,
and he had already proved more than willing to use chemical weapons (against the
Kurds, the Iranians, and possibly against American troops).

So in conclusion; even if the all mighty United States, the only world power
left, starts a war, there is no telling how long it will really last, especially
when there is no element of surprise.  The very nature of war prohibits making
such a prediction.

-Stefan-

<*> Check out the song, "Have You Forgotten," it rings quite true.