 Off-Topic / Debate / 21604
21603  |  21605
Subject:
Motive
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 2003 15:29:46 GMT

Upload a File, Go to Prison

http://www.wired.com/news/print/0,1294,59654,00.html

A new bill proposed in Congress on Wednesday would land a person in prison for five years and impose a fine of $250,000 for uploading a single file to a peer-to-peer network.

GOP Attorneys General Asked For Corporate Contributions

“This is incredibly tawdry,” said Charles Lewis, director of the Center for Public Integrity, an independent group that highlights the link between money and politics. “That famous statue of the lady of justice with the blindfold -- this kind of throws that out the window. There is an incredible mercenary element to this that implies that policy is bought and sold.”

In Ohio, Iraq Questions Shake Even Some of Bush’s Faithful

CINCINNATI, July 16 -- Jim Stock voted for George W. Bush in 2000 and says that if the election were held tomorrow, he’d vote for President Bush again. But he says he is troubled by indications that the White House used questionable intelligence about Iraqi efforts to buy uranium in Africa to push for war in Iraq. And he wants a fuller accounting.

“I’d like to know whether there was any deliberate attempt to deceive,” said Mr. Stock, 70, a retired public school administrator. “My feeling is there was not. But there was an eagerness in the administration to pursue the battle and to believe information that wasn’t quite good.”

“It’s painful to say,” he added, “but I don’t like where this is coming down.”

The motive for nearly everything our govt. does is the same at every level: to please and thereby obtain money from its corporate masters. You don’t need to wonder about Shrub’s motive -- simply ask who stood to gain the most from these wars we’ve been waging.

May these thoughts keep you warm at night after your children come home in body bags.

-- Hop-Frog