 Off-Topic / Debate / 21622
Re: Motive
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 12:11:33 GMT

That’s right, I’m back! The frogman that never sleeps!

Anyway, I saw this on Slashdot and couldn’t help but be impressed (it’s somewhere in there, down about two-thirds of the way from the bottom):

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/07/17/1250203&mode=thread&tid=103&tid=126&tid=141&tid=188&tid=95&tid=99

But it seems we are heading into two different directions. Crimes and their punishment are being classified into crimes against people and crimes against corporations. Crimes against people can be plea bargained down to minimal sentences. Crimes against corporations are constantly on the upswing as far as severity and punishment.

See? And this really has to make you think because it’s so obviously true. The subject under discussion at Slashdot is the proposed legislation making it a felony to upload copyrighted material to a P2P network. Many posters are making half-serious objections based on the idea that you would likely get a lighter sentence if you ran into a store and stole music CDs at gunpoint.

The questions remain:

• Do people flaunt the copyright laws because the laws protecting IP have been expanded to an unworkable point favoring the few against the many?

• Should protecting copyrights be a federal level law enforcement concern; or should it remain a protected civil procedure for the use of an injured party against an offending party?

• Will this further overflow the prison populations for the most incarcerated population on earth?

• What will they do when the current prisons reach max density?

• Do you want a rapist living next door to you because it was considered more important to jail a P2P file sharer?

• Do you want to pay probably vast sums of taxpayer monies to fight this kind of leap-frog battle against technology?

It just goes on an on...but I insist the motive is clear. You and I do not matter any longer to the fiction of our democratic republic. We have managed to create a system in which the least of a legislators concerns are his own constituents.

I normally don’t care about this kind of stuff, but just for the record: the two guys proposing this psycho legislation are Reps. John Conyers Jr. (D-Mich.) and Howard Berman (D-Calif.). Both of them Democrats! And one is from my own state!

Corporate weasels respect no partisan boundries. We are all screwed because the two party system is completely screwed.

Color me disenfranchised. Fictitious persons are in the ascendant.

-- Hop-Frog (I think I am having a usage problem...)