 Off-Topic / Debate / 2120
  McDonald's, LEGO and Ethics

I came back from vacation this week and saw the news about the McD's Drive-through promotional kit and hit an ethical dilemma. I used to be(still am?) an anti-McDonalds activist. I sat outside restaurants passing out fliers and stickers for hours (...) (25 years ago, 9-Sep-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: McDonald's, LEGO and Ethics

(...) Buy 3225 and part out/sell off the rest of it, including the other 4 train windows. No ethical problem. (...) Sure, here's one... what's the issue again? If cross promotion lowers the cost of goods to me I don't have an issue with it. And if (...) (25 years ago, 9-Sep-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: McDonald's, LEGO and Ethics

(...) with (...) only (...) I look at it this way. I am also not a fan of McDonalds and some of their practices. I also can't remember the last time I ate there. On the other hand if I were to by $75 from S@H I would not tell them to not send me the (...) (25 years ago, 9-Sep-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: McDonald's, LEGO and Ethics

(...) I'd buy the chem plant. The parts would be tres cool. And why not sell a model depicting a chemical plant? I don't see anything inherently wrong with manufacture -- I like to have stuff. Cheers, - jsproat (25 years ago, 9-Sep-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: McDonald's, LEGO and Ethics

(...) Oh yeah, me too. Thousands of feet of scaffolded pipe, water cooling towers, 20 story processing plants, huge storage tanks... the list of cool looking stuff is endless. I should know - I work at Dow. (...) Me neither. Before anyone gets too (...) (25 years ago, 9-Sep-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: McDonald's, LEGO and Ethics

(...) Yeah! THat would rock. I used to drive St. Louis to Chicago avery couple weeks and a bit south of Chicago there is a massive Mobil refinery that I always looked forward to seeing. Day or night, that thing is beautiful. I would love to see LEGO (...) (25 years ago, 9-Sep-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: McDonald's, LEGO and Ethics

(...) I know about the six red windows in 3225, although I was going to order some stuff from s@h soon that would be enough to get me a McD's. So now that I know i can get something for free such as red windows, I want them. I am just just as human (...) (25 years ago, 9-Sep-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: McDonald's, LEGO and Ethics

(...) I don't think they ever would. This basically was the result of being frustrated over a conservation with a coworker about how she thinks corporations can do no wrong and they serve us, a recent re-reviewing of "Roger&Me", and the abuse of (...) (25 years ago, 9-Sep-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: McDonald's, LEGO and Ethics

(...) I loved that movie. The Big One was also a hoot. (...) This is, fortunately, illegal in the state of California now. Cheers, - jsproat (25 years ago, 9-Sep-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: McDonald's, LEGO and Ethics

(...) products (...) without (...) happening to (...) be a (...) car, a (...) the (...) our (...) Yeah I'd be uneasy about this. It does seem unethical. My reasoning? We'd all agree that taking something that legitimately belongs to them by force is (...) (25 years ago, 10-Sep-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: McDonald's, LEGO and Ethics

(...) THANKS!!! I appreciate the praise. :-) I'm not sure if cross promotion necessarily (...) Well, there's merit in your analysis, but I was referring to the cost to the producer of the good rather than the consumer. Lowering producer costs (...) (25 years ago, 10-Sep-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: McDonald's, LEGO and Ethics

(...) At the school my kids go to there is Coca-Cola everywhere! Coca-Colas is advertised through out the school, including the football field. Plus, it is sold all over the school. They used to sell Pepsi and Coke, until Coca-Cola started this (...) (25 years ago, 12-Sep-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: McDonald's, LEGO and Ethics

Below is something I read a while back about Coke in schools. I am curious how "Coke Day" could be considared academic. I guess it teaches uniformity. My college became Coke Free at the expense of gaining Pepsi. It was wierd- it seemed like they (...) (25 years ago, 13-Sep-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: McDonald's, LEGO and Ethics

(...) Forgive me, I don't know much about economic theory, how does cross-promotion lowers costs to the producer? (...) Government scientists are good at that. :) Actually, most government scientists are great. The project I am working on today has (...) (25 years ago, 13-Sep-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: McDonald's, LEGO and Ethics

(...) Two relatively weak reasons... - economies of scale in media buys reduces ad cost which is a producer cost - increased volume of the underlying product reduces cost per unit produced, typically and one that's not usually in play - shifting (...) (25 years ago, 13-Sep-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: McDonald's, LEGO and Ethics

My wife just fowarded this over to me. I skimmed over it briefly and it seems applicable to some of this discussion. LMKWYT. -Chris (URL) (25 years ago, 15-Sep-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)