 Off-Topic / Debate / 18723
Re: MOC: German WWII halftrack and armoured car
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.military, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 11 Jan 2003 18:51:22 GMT

In lugnet.build.military, Craig Stevens writes:
I for one support LEGO's policy of not producing modern military themes
sets. In fact it kind of makes me uncomfortable seeing WW2 tanks and the
like built from Lego. There are not many havens for children from war and
conflict in the world of toys, which is why I believe many parents chose
LEGO. Okay, Star Wars and WW2 planes are getting a little close, but they
are a long way away from the horrors of modern warfare. LEGO will never
change it's policy on war related models, why can't AFOLs follow their lead?

Because those AFOLs don't want to.  In .space, people imagine
militaristic futures and build warships; the violence of Star
Wars (destruction of Alderaan, anyone?) and WWI (WWI is "a long
way away from the horrors of modern warfare?"  I never thought
I'd see *that* uttered--ludicrous!) are no less militaristic for
their being either fictional or willfully separated from their
wider historical context.  TLC can do whatever it wishes, but we
in .build.military choose not to split hairs in quite the same
way (not that we're not splitting them in some other manner,
granted).

We're adults, not children*, and as such ought to be
considered mature enough to make those decisions.  The
military models are huge crowd-pleasers, and if you're
uncomfortable looking at WWII tanks and the like, then
follow the standard Internet mantra of "if you don't like
it, don't look at it."  Even TLC appreciates the detail of
military builders, even if they won't themselves produce
military kits; I'm forgetting the guy's name, but he made
a nice Technic F-14 that landed him a job working for LEGO.

I appreciate your position, but I don't think it's realistic
or desirable (or, really, even possible) to occlude the fact
of humanity's violent propensities and history from our conscious
adult lives.  But that's a philosophical matter perhaps better
confined to .debate (where I'm setting the followups).

best

LFB

*most of us, that is