 Off-Topic / Fun / 10101
Re: Hey, James, I've been wondering...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 01:39:19 GMT

(Leading Seaman) James Powell

  What does that rank mean, in the overall hierarchy
  of a ship or a naval station?  (I presume it means
  something other than "you have to stand on the prow
  for the entire voyage, or the fantail if we're going

Well...not quite, but close.  I'm the 3rd lowest rank in the CF
(OS-AB-LS-MS-P2-P1-C2-C1) for NCM.  But, it doesn't mean all that much, since
we have a lot of LS/Cpl rank people who are long service (12-25 years).
(I have just shy of 7 years in now). Basically, it means that I am trained to
some extent or another, and are a useful person for other than washing
dishes/standing at the bow watching the waves/pulling on a rope.  In USN
equivelent, I am about equal to a PO2 or so (E5), since I will be standing
boiler watchkeeper (Charge hand of a separate space) when I finish my ticket.

For us, the division is at LS-MS.  If you get promoted to MS, you _can_ go
onwards to greater things (tm), but it is the dividing line between getting
paid for what you do vice what you know/how you administer.

James