 Off-Topic / Debate / 18241
Re: Comparative freedom
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 22:33:42 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Pedro Silva writes:

What else--oh, we're not beholden to a piece of paper written 200+ years
ago.  We make our own laws 'n such for what we need them to be, for us
citizens living *now* :p

I'm not impressed by a country that had to ask the permission of a Queen to
conduct it's own business.  Give me the 200+ year old document that told the
royalty to bugger off!

Actually, they did not told the Queen to bugger off... because they did not
have to; they got their own PM instead. Given that the Crown has little (if
any) effective power, it is even better: getting independent whilst assuring
a powerful friend (1).

David (no "!") understood what I was refering to - technically everything
Canada did was supposed to be approved by the Queen until that last vestige
of empire was officially expunged a couple of decades ago.  I was
embarrassed for my Canadian friends until then.

Had the USA chosen the same path, and they wouldn't have had a Civil War.
Thinking of which, the Canadian Way may actually have been a good way,
wouldn't you say? (2)

What worked for Canada wasn't going to work for the U.S.  We just weren't
wimpy enough.  ;-)

Nor were we worried about a counter-revolution by the French and the
necessity for support from the Crown in maintaining what we swiped from
another European power.  :-O

Bruce
(just teasing....)