 Off-Topic / Debate / 18235
Re: Comparative freedom
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 18:02:08 GMT

found this interesting link

http://www.freedomhouse.org/research/freeworld/2000/table1.htm

Hey, Canada is tied with the US--We're equal ;)

I think that Can'eh'dians have *more* freedom than Am'aaar'icans..

'Merican.  Pronounce the "r" so far in the back of your throat that you have
to swallow it. :-)

Okay, so, America is difficult to swallow.  You knew that.  ;-)

We have our elections when we want, not just specifically every 4 years--we
choose, therefore more freedom.

I'd chalk that up on the silly side, and we have elections every year in any
case (just not every office).

(well, the party in power chooses... but that's neither here nor
there--someone chooses... ;) )

Ahem.  As I said about the silly side.
:-)

We have, ummm, what else do we have...

Well, we're much loved and respected in the world :p

Love and respect = ineffectual.  But then again, who wants to be the world's
police?

Hmmm...

Freedom...

Well, I can walk into any hospital at any time and get medical treatment
without worrying about having money in my pocket...  Except for
parking...what's that all about--
"Hey your dad is in the hospital with whatever!!!"
"Oh my--we gotta go!!"
_rush to hospital_
"That'll be 5 bucks to park here."
"5 bucks!  I don't have the time and forgot my wallet at home--I don't want
to deal with *parking* charges when I want to see my dad, who could be
dieing right now when I'm discussing *parking* with a parking attendant..."

I wouldn't enumerate that as a "freedom".  I do like it, though...except for
the parking....

What else--oh, we're not beholden to a piece of paper written 200+ years
ago.  We make our own laws 'n such for what we need them to be, for us
citizens living *now* :p

I'm not impressed by a country that had to ask the permission of a Queen to
conduct it's own business.  Give me the 200+ year old document that told the
royalty to bugger off!

(just poking a little fun at my American sisters and brothers :) )

Laughing (and poking back).  Canada is a great place...except in the winter.
Excuse me while I put the top down and get on the shorts, sandals and shades.

-->Bruce<--
Somewhere in Sunny SoCal