 Off-Topic / Debate / 18244
Re: Comparative freedom
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 23:41:15 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Pedro Silva writes:

What else--oh, we're not beholden to a piece of paper written 200+ years
ago.  We make our own laws 'n such for what we need them to be, for us
citizens living *now* :p

I'm not impressed by a country that had to ask the permission of a Queen to
conduct it's own business.  Give me the 200+ year old document that told the
royalty to bugger off!

Actually, they did not told the Queen to bugger off... because they did not
have to; they got their own PM instead. Given that the Crown has little (if
any) effective power, it is even better: getting independent whilst assuring
a powerful friend (1).

David (no "!") understood what I was refering to - technically everything
Canada did was supposed to be approved by the Queen until that last vestige
of empire was officially expunged a couple of decades ago.  I was
embarrassed for my Canadian friends until then.

Yes, Pedro was right--Quebec did not want to 'bring the constitution home'
for they could appeal to a highter authority than the Canadian Supreme court
if they were denied something from the Supreme Court.  The separatists
wanted a higher authority if they wver got around to winning their
separatist referendum.  More than likely the Canadian Supreme court would
deny the separation, and therefore the separatists could appeal to someone
else to make the separation all 'leagal-like'.

I personally wouldn't want the separation to happen--I'd rather work at the
root issue of why my brothers and sisters in La Belle Province feel like
they're not getting their fair due in the best country in the world--but
that's a story for another time.

But we did get our constitution in '82.  So there you are.

Had the USA chosen the same path, and they wouldn't have had a Civil War.
Thinking of which, the Canadian Way may actually have been a good way,
wouldn't you say? (2)

What worked for Canada wasn't going to work for the U.S.  We just weren't
wimpy enough.  ;-)

Sometimes, nay, most times, in the long run, the stronger, smarter, better
person is the one who doesn't throw a punch.  Evolution, as another thread
went on about, is the path of choice for the fittest ;)

Nor were we worried about a counter-revolution by the French and the
necessity for support from the Crown in maintaining what we swiped from
another European power.  :-O

Bruce
(just teasing....)

Yes, thank goodness the 'Mericans didn't go thru a revolution every time the
wind changed direction ;)

As for swiping from another European power--don't get the reference, but
Canada didn't swite anything--I mentinoed the 'evolution'--got to the point
when the British Empire grew up, or basically the world grew up, and Canada
came into its own.

Dave K