 Off-Topic / Debate / 18248
Re: Comparative freedom
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 03:58:53 GMT

Bottom line is, we didn't have to fire a shot to become the much loved and
respected country that we are today.

Ya, because we did the heavy lifting for you and GB realised that they could
let you have your way peacefully, or keep a cork on things a bit longer and
see you either revolt, or be annexed by us...

Grin, duck, run

There is that... if America didn't revolt--taxation w/o representation and
all that--how would the world be today?

Though to be said--the xenophobic america who wouldn't enter a war until
their collective face is slapped, also has to be looked at whereas the
British Empire enters a war on *principle*--and on Rememberance Day
(Veterans Day for you Yanks) in which the Yankees seem to take credit for
"leading the allies to victory"--where were they before Dec 6 '41?

The flip side (again) you Yanks parked all those planes at the border and
they miraculously became Canadian (allied) overnight!  Thanks!

So there are so many flip sides---what I am thankful for is that America, as
a country, exists in the world and has existed since 1776.  I am thankful
that, for the most part, Americans are great people whom I appreciate, that
they try to stand up and do whats right, even if us back seat drivers
sometimes don't like the direction they're taking us in.

I also thank the veterans today, as I like to think I thank them everyday,
for fighting against tyranny, in any form, so that we, as Canadians and
Americans, can enjoy the freedom to talk about these very issues.

Lest we forget.

Dave K.