 Off-Topic / Debate / 18238
Re: Comparative freedom
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 20:11:12 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Pedro Silva writes:

What else--oh, we're not beholden to a piece of paper written 200+ years
ago.  We make our own laws 'n such for what we need them to be, for us
citizens living *now* :p

I'm not impressed by a country that had to ask the permission of a Queen to
conduct it's own business.  Give me the 200+ year old document that told the
royalty to bugger off!

Actually, they did not told the Queen to bugger off... because they did not
have to; they got their own PM instead. Given that the Crown has little (if
any) effective power, it is even better: getting independent whilst assuring
a powerful friend (1).
Had the USA chosen the same path, and they wouldn't have had a Civil War.
Thinking of which, the Canadian Way may actually have been a good way,
wouldn't you say? (2)
;-)

Pedro

(1) - well, back in 1867 Britain *was* powerful :-P
(2) - sorry for the excessive repetition of "ay"...

Someone once said that America needed a revolution to become their own
country--Canada just 'evolved' into our own, and not without a few snags
ourself.

PET (Pierre Trudeau) 'decides' to get our constitution over here from
Britain--got 9 provinces on-side (guess which province didn't want us to cut
the ties with england?)

So in '82, officially, Canada is beholden to no one.  Before that, someone
still had the recourse to take their issue 'to the queen' if the court
system in Canada failed to please them.  Well, no more!

But it was well before then when Canada was thought of as an independant
country.  I'm no historian--perhaps someone knows when Canada became
officially their own?  I mean 1867 doesn't cut it--when England declared in
WW1 and 2, we Canadians were automatically in it--we didn't declare war or
did we?  So after 1867 but before 1982.  Me thinks it's time to consult some
historical documentations...

Bottom line is, we didn't have to fire a shot to become the much loved and
respected country that we are today.

Credits...

Dave K.