 Off-Topic / Debate / 18239
Re: Comparative freedom
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 20:37:28 GMT

PET (Pierre Trudeau) 'decides' to get our constitution over here from
Britain--got 9 provinces on-side (guess which province didn't want us to cut
the ties with england?)

If it was Québec, I am not a bit surprised. The Crown had assumed
compromises to protect the french heritage of the province. Obviously, they
would rather keep the privilege.

So in '82, officially, Canada is beholden to no one.  Before that, someone
still had the recourse to take their issue 'to the queen' if the court
system in Canada failed to please them.  Well, no more!

Was that clause used often, btw?

But it was well before then when Canada was thought of as an independant
country.  I'm no historian--perhaps someone knows when Canada became
officially their own?  I mean 1867 doesn't cut it--when England declared in
WW1 and 2, we Canadians were automatically in it--we didn't declare war or
did we?

The Crown declared war. The Crown is (was) a far bigger institution than
England, comprising all of the Empire and Dominions. I suppose that is part
of ANZAC statutes? (do not confuse with ANZUS)

So after 1867 but before 1982.  Me thinks it's time to consult some
historical documentations...

PLMKWY find. It's always nice to know more about any History-related subject!
:-)

Bottom line is, we didn't have to fire a shot to become the much loved and
respected country that we are today.

Which is not to say there were no shots fired! I know about something named
Riel Revolts, only I don't have a clue as to their importance... ;-)

Credits...

:-P
Will not certainly go to CDG, he who has cheered the Québec Libre...

Pedro