 Off-Topic / Debate / 17452
17451  |  17453
Subject:
SUVs (was: Do you qualify? Was Re: Globalization, H1-B Visas, other geeky stuff...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 24 Aug 2002 12:28:45 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Thomas Stangl writes:

Then again, if you have a Dodge Ram, that's not an SUV anyways.  Not
by the "real" definition ("Yuppiemobile that never has dirt on it for
more than 5 minutes, or the owner will panic and run screaming to a
brushless/manpowered car wash" or "What's that 4WD button do?" or
"Offroad?  Why would I want to take my SUV offroad?").

What's the story with SUVs and all this angst?

I bought a Toyota RAV4 (I know, a baby SUV) the second year they were out
and I drove it around town, on 20,000 miles of highway road trips and up 40
degree dirt and rock inclines.  It was a great vehicle for getting me most
of the places I wanted to go.

On our honeymoon, my wife made me stop pushing the limits while we were
turning around on a ~35(? it didn't look very steep from the bottom, but it
did from the top) degree incline looking seventy yards down to the clif that
would drop us 15 more into the crashing rocky Pacific surf of southern
Oregon.  Man, that was a rush!  It was actually kind of nice having her to
make me back down, so that I didn't have to do it out of terror :-)

So anyway, does that count as a "real" SUV or not?

And while we're at it, what's the difference between "all wheel drive" and
"four wheel drive?"

Chris