 Off-Topic / Fun / 9710
Re: SUVs (was: Do you qualify? Was Re: Globalization, H1-B Visas, other geeky stuff...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 24 Aug 2002 17:16:54 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Rob Doucette writes:

And while we're at it, what's the difference between "all wheel drive" and
"four wheel drive?"

All wheel drive equipped vehicles (Subarus, Mercury Mountaineers, etc.) have
a center differential between the front and rear axles.  4WD equipped
vehicles do not and shouldn't be driven over road with the 4WD engaged.

are you sure it isn't the other way round? That's always been my experience.

I think Full Time 4WD and AWD are used synonymously (at least in the US),
which implies that there is a center differential.  FT 4WD is differentiated
from standard 4WD usually on vehicles that offer both variants.  I don't
think there are any clear definitions on the subject.

-Rob.