 Off-Topic / Fun / 9707
Re: SUVs (was: Do you qualify? Was Re: Globalization, H1-B Visas, other geeky stuff...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 24 Aug 2002 15:33:52 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Thomas Stangl writes:

Then again, if you have a Dodge Ram, that's not an SUV anyways.  Not
by the "real" definition ("Yuppiemobile that never has dirt on it for
more than 5 minutes, or the owner will panic and run screaming to a
brushless/manpowered car wash" or "What's that 4WD button do?" or
"Offroad?  Why would I want to take my SUV offroad?").

What's the story with SUVs and all this angst?

See also

http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/comment-peters082202.asp

We have a Durango. I hate it, it gets very poor mileage. But we needed the
number of seats it had as well as the trailer capability. Jo and I fight
about whether she should drive it all the time. I argue that she should
drive our more economical car.

And while we're at it, what's the difference between "all wheel drive" and
"four wheel drive?"

Number of differentials. Full time FWD needs 3 but some AWD vehicles have
only a front and rear, no center, and thus can only be used on loose
surfaces, not pavement, or they will crab, which is very bad for the driveline.