 Off-Topic / Debate / 17451
17450  |  17452
Subject:
Mass Extinctions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 24 Aug 2002 11:38:38 GMT

Scientists Agree World is Facing Mass Extinction

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/science/08/23/green.century.mass.extinction/index.html

Quote from article:

"There is virtual unanimity among scientists that we have entered a period
of mass extinction not seen since the age of the dinosaurs, an emerging
global crisis that could have disastrous effects on our future food
supplies, our search for new medicines, and on the water we drink and the
air we breathe. Estimates vary, but extinction is figured by experts to be
taking place between 100 to 1,000 times higher than natural "background"
extinction."

That's frightening.
I have a question to any biologists out there. Is it possible to store the
DNA of males and females of each species, so that if the species goes
extinct, it can be revived? Of course, there is the question of how an
embryo would be grown, but surely they can put the DNA in the womb of a
similar species, as they are doing with the mammoth project in Japan. Or
perhaps, someday, we will have the technology to make artificial wombs.

So is this already being done? Or is it not possible? Or has it not yet been
thought of?

Curt