 Off-Topic / Debate / 16811
Re: Netiquette Question (was Re: Legal Education? etc. )
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 21:09:27 GMT

I am just curious about something...

Christopher posed a request here, and I have gone to some lengths to fulfill
that request in the previous post.

Now it happens that I don't care if he responds to the previous post or not
(REALLY!),

Your tone suggests, contrary to your words, that you'd appreciate an
acknowledgement of your effort.  And I don't think that's out of line, but I'm
also not sure what our common understanding of this issue is (if there is one).

but I wonder if most people think I deserved a reply even if it
was just a short thanks or whatever.  Alternatively, is the "thanks" made at
the end of the original request considered the sufficient thanks -- in
advance.  A third alternative might be that to reply with a just a few words
like "thanks a lot -- Chris" would be considered noise that doesn't have to
be made publically, but maybe could or should be made privately.  And I
suppose the list of possibilities goes on from here...

I think a short thanks to LUGNET would have been noise.  I actually started a
response in which I was going to provide one or more web links to every of the
sources that you suggested, more to supply a resource than a "thank you" but it
did begin with "Wow, thanks for the reply."  I didn't have time to put into
such a response (I'm at work today) so I put it off.

What is the right thing to do?  Is there a lot of room for slippage?  How
much does what is done matter?  Should I be offended?  If so, to what degree?

I'd think that being offended would do you no good.  So to the extent that you
can actually control those feelings, skip it.  Also, it isn't clear to me how
much effort goes into your posts.  There have been long notes that you wrote
that I thought were masterful and must have taken real effort...but I guess
they weren't in response to my request.  And also, if I'll get more longer

Anyway, thanks a bunch for your response.  When I posit questions like
that I am most often ignored, and I do really appreciate the time you
spent helping me out.  Hopefully I will get around to following up with a
comprehensive set of links in the next week or so.

Chris