 Off-Topic / Debate / 14850
14849  |  14851
Subject:
infringement of my privacy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 23 Nov 2001 19:19:49 GMT

I checked. Scott is not subscribed to the LP newsletter under the current
email tag on his post: eh105jb@mx1.pair.com... but he WAS subscribed under a
tag that was in use some time ago. Not any more.

Note that I only tried one address, I don't have time to search all 8000+
posts of Scott's to see if there are other email addresses used. Scott, mail
me privately if you like, with the address you're getting the subscription
on, I'll be happy to unsubscribe you from it as well. HOWEVER the LP DB
thinks you WERE subscribed on the addy I deleted.

What gives you the right to delete that? Did I even imply I wanted you to?
Is this the kind of thing you normally do? I see this as a gross
infringement of my privacy. I demand an apology.

If a malicious person subscribed Scott, they did so by going back in the
past a bit to find a different address to use. To that malicious person, if
you actually exist, please do not resubscribe Scott... You are just
encouraging his clueless behaviour.

I think I have 3 id's on Lugnet. One I can no longer use as the account is
dead (an old ISP). One is the one I use mostly : eh105jb@mx1.pair.com.
However, if I post from a machine which does not have a LUGNET cookie, I use
a 3rd one (this is my main e-mail address, and is much easier to remember
than eh105jb@mx1.pair.com). I think I have used it a few times in the last
month... but I expect less than 10. This is the one which was getting LP mail.

Scott, you are unsubscribed from something you claim you did not ask for, at
least under one address anyway. IF as you claim, you did not ask for this
subscription and do not wish it, I have done you a service by removing it
since you can't be bothered to do so yourself.

Again, you assume I want to!

If on the other hand, you actually DID wish it, why, then I apologise for
unsubscribing you. But of course, in *that* case it's *not* junk email...
you can go resubscribe or not as you wish.

Go ahead, apologise. Write a letter to the LP explaining your actions, and
post a copy to me (mail me for my address).

Please note, in the general case I think it's not very nice to subscribe or
unsubscribe people from things. But Scott stated he's getting something he
doesn't want to get. It would be hard to argue that I've done him a disservice.

In your opinion.

The real question is why is it possible to subscribe to a e-mail service
without confirming (via e-mail) the request.

Scott A