 Off-Topic / Debate / 1478
Re: Photo Radar
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 16:20:31 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Duane Hess writes:

There are two names listed on the vehicle registration. One male, the other
female. If they took the time to verify that the license plate in the picture
was indeed registered to my wife and I, why can't they verify the sex of the
driver?

Whatever happend to innocent until proven guilty?

It isn't a matter of innocent until proven guilty.  They have a picture of a
vehicle registered to you that was recorded in a breach of the law.  They
have
made a logical conclusion, and sent you a ticket which informs you of the
fine
for the breach, and (here, at least) a court date for the issue to be
resolved,
if necessary.

My point is more of a responsibility gripe than a legal question. (and • pushes
my opinion of people even farther into cynicism)  If you were speeding, and
you
got caught, then pay the fine.  It's as simple as that.

I didn't get caught. It wasn't me driving. That's my point. I'm not concerned
about paying the fine. Money isn't the problem, its the principle. The vehicle
is registered to two people, which one gets the fine?

Fair enough.  In Alberta, you can only have 1 person on a vehicle registration.
(AFAIK, anyway)

Don't know about other localities, but here (Phoenix AZ), if you get a
photo-radar ticket, the drivers face *must* be clearly visible.  If it is
obscured, they will not process the ticket.  So, when driving though
photo-radar country, keep the sun visor down.(1)

The face WAS clearly visible. It just didn't look like MY hairy mug.

Ah.  Another difference.  Because our license plates are on the back of the car
only, that's the part that gets photo'ed, and there aren't any hairy mugs
involved ;-)

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/