 Off-Topic / Debate / 13403
Re: Mecha-zuna, a pictoral Story...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2001 05:29:39 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Geordan Hankinson writes:
snip

If you like, I can change the name, (?)

No, of course not! I just wanted to hear your "explanation" or reasoning.

The "New Byzantine Army" still, IMHO, is a *BIG* misnomer. While I understand
that the story is fiction, I think that it is confusing and rather silly.

Ok, did anyone else find it "out of place?" cuz then I think I will change it,

if more people have negative feelings about it then I think it would be
appropriate to change it.

   Actually, I really liked the *name*.  I didn't see your explanation
   for the formulation of the subdivision itself.  My suggestion, if it's
   even possible, would be to reformulate the backstory of its composition
   and make it, say, an agglomeration of Balkan and Slavic states--maybe
   by positing at some point an unprecedented "merger" of the Orthodox
   churches of the East and movement of populations.  You would still have
   to consider the Muslim populations in the Balkans, but if the polity
   you create is tolerant, that's not a problem either.  The hardest
   part might be dealing with the Turkish element, if you want to use
   Istanbul/Constantinople/Byzantium as a capital.  This might require
   a war of conquest or, alternately, the creation of a "New Byzantium"
   as a capital city somewhere on the Black Sea, perhaps atop an older
   Byzantine city grown old and worn.  That would be a very worthy
   project for a mighty high-tech Empire, I'd say.

   These are just thoughts, but in short, my recommendation is that you
   subordinate the plausibility issues to that very cool name.  :D
   That is, if too much doesn't already depend on it.  But recovering
   the Greek character of Byzantium might make it desirable.

   best

   LFB