 Off-Topic / Debate / 13161
13160  |  13162
Subject:
why not just give them the Olympics? (was Re: From a mailing list)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 15:54:41 GMT

I have to agree with the general emphasis of the text below. If the richer
nations of the world could share a little of their wealth then perhaps the
world would be slightly better. Feeding the starving inside Afghanistan lets
the Afghans see that all the world is not against them... and will make
oppressing them a little harder. Already, western aid agencies have pulled
out of Afghanistan. Aid agencies expect that the resultant effect on the
starving populace will lead to more deaths than those caused by events on
the 11th.

However, talk of feeding the starving is not attractive to chat-show hosts,
news networks are barroom strategists. Nor is it attractive to those seeking
revenge before justice.

Anyhow, if the world really is serious about improving human rights in
Afghanistan, why not just give them the Olympics?

Scott A

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message
I can't attribute the source  because I don't know. I am on a mailing list
of IBMers and exIBMers, all of who used to hang out on IBMTEXT (and
especially the NITPICK FORUM) and one of them got this in HER email and
reposted it.

Flame me if you want but I thought it an interesting perspective.

- start -

I got this from a friend and found it a bit warm and fuzzy, but it is a
somewhat novel alternative.  I admit to having my first smirk since 9AM on
11 September from a mental image of Rumsfeld doing our defense department
shopping at Stew Leonard's and Winn-Dixie.  I bet most of us have coupons • we
could chip in.
... Cat.

Received from New Zealand.