 Off-Topic / Geek / 3359
Re: DVD players (Was: Re: From a mailing list)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sun, 23 Sep 2001 15:16:39 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ed Jones writes:
Didn't stop me.  However, I have only replaced a few things on DVD.

I replaced more than a few, I guess, but I certainly didn't try to replace
everything.  Although I guess I should, for those things I really like, as I
haven't watched a single one of my pre-recorded VHS tapes since I bought my
DVD player almost 3 years ago.

It was easy and cheap to replace most of my favs during the golden age of
the dot com DVD stores offering an endless stream of coupons and specials.
I think for the first 60-70 DVDs I bought I averaged less than $7 per.

Now I mostly end up spending $17-$20, both because the awesome deals are
just not there anymore and also because it isn't worth it to me to try to
hunt down random coupon X when for just a few dollars more I can either snag
it from Amazon or pick it up at Best Buy or Sam's/Wal-Mart.

The real option is to join Netflix.com - a web based DVD rental company.  Huge
selection, easy service (DVD's are mailed to you with return postage paid
envelopes), great monthly rates (for the price of 1 DVD $25 - you have 4 movies
rented at a time - when you return one, the next movie in your queue is shipped
(I average 12 movies a month - far less than the cost of Blockbuster).

Netflix can be awesome.  I used it for several months but I think I joined
too early as I eventually dropped it as I could still get good deals easily
on DVDs.  I've been toying with the idea of signing up again, but I'll have
to convince myself I will actually watch at least 8-12 movies per month.  I
have friends who still use it and love it, that's for sure.

Blockbuster does an incredibly lame (imo) Netflix-wannabe program here.
$20/mo gets you 30 DVD rentals.  The only kick is you only get one at a
time, so if you want to get your 30 rentals you have to actually *go* to
Blockbuster every day to drop one off and pick up another.  I would almost
consider doing that as we have a BB on the Strip next to campus, but it is a
tiny one and I can't imagine them having enough copies of most movies to
have a good selection in stock all the time.  No way I'd bother driving over
to one of the larger ones near my home on a daily basis.