 Off-Topic / Debate / 13183
Re: why not just give them the Olympics? (was Re: From a mailing list)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 01:45:08 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lawrence Wilkes writes:

I see one of the spokepersons at the Liberal Democrate Party conference today called for the Afgans to be bombed with
food.

The US has sent $124 million to Afghanistan to buy food this year, topping
the $114 million last year. The amount of wheat sent there is about 10% of
Pakistan's exports. So at least our money went for food? Powell said "Our
[UN] aid bypasses the Taliban." Today, it was reported that the Taliban took
care to seize remaining UN food stocks to feed their fighters.

There have been a lot of "creative" ideas on what to bomb with, including
Harry Potter (in Peshtun no doubt).

At the rate things are going, the Taliban could be finished before winter (6
weeks) and then it'll look something like Kosovo--just very dangerous.