 Off-Topic / Debate / 13076
Re: DVD players (Was: Re: From a mailing list)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sat, 22 Sep 2001 20:43:27 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mark Sandlin writes:
In article <GK2zDL.D4y@lugnet.com>,
"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote:

What actually may be a larger part of the expense of going DVD is the
tendency to buy some of the same items you already have on VHS that is very
hard to resist. I know when I switched away from LPs, I did in fact buy some
of the same albums again on CD. They were just *better* that way.

I thought about that too, so I didn't buy a DVD player for a long time.

Once I did buy mine, however, I just bought the entry level Sony, which
has all the options I need (I don't plan to use mine as a CD player, or
to play mp3's or anything)

I haven't set out to replace all my VHS's on DVD. I've mainly
concentrated on replacing my favorite movies, and those that would
benefit from the widescreen and image quality benefits (typically stuff
like sci-fi extravaganzas)

Yes, I got a chance to play with a DVD version of The Matrix at a friend's
house on a really really big TV with Dolby surround. Pretty amazing....

I might replace a VHS if it wears out, but for now, the VCR still sits
right next to the DVD player :^)

We would have to decide WHICH room/VCR gets it though... Family room, where
the kids watch movies, great room where Josette watches TV or exercise room
(probably not that one) where I have my stereo because it's next to the LEGO
workroom...

Thanks for the advice.

~Grand Admiral Muffin Head