 Off-Topic / Debate / *8591 (-20)
  Re: My Gun Control Rant

(...) Then your washing machine must be heavily armor-plated, considering the ammunition Lar uses. Otherwise the slug will go through the washing machine or any other appliance in the house. Dave! (24 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: My Gun Control Rant

(...) Very well put....I must thank you for this as I tend to somehow end up discussing gun control fairly regularily recently and I've never actually heard it put this way....I shall remember it. (...) I agree here. To kill another human being I (...) (24 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: My Gun Control Rant

(...) ... and what is the bullet bouces of the washing machine? (...) Yet most have the sense to raid only empty homes. (...) Well, the US murder rate is >3 times the UK one. I am pretty sure that our murder clear-up rate is better than the USA too. (...) (24 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: News to get your head spinning

(...) though: (...) It's not "not anybody's fault". The fault lies with all of us for supporting a system which considers it more important to stop prostitution than to give folks the help they need. The fault lies with us for not having non-prison (...) (24 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: My Gun Control Rant

I would count a $50 revolver as just as dangerous to the user as the target! There's NO WAY a company can sell a gun at a profit at $50 retail without massively cutting corners on alloys and machining tolerances. (...) -- | Tom Stangl, Technical (...) (24 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: My Gun Control Rant

(...) What is your argument....please think about what you've said....obviously you will analyze that whenever you are in the situation. At what point did Larry mention he would fire at any criminal no matter what the cost....I think you're aware (...) (24 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: My Gun Control Rant

(...) The criminals are not armed (mostly), so the police do not need them. (...) What? Tony Blair goes mad, and the army supports him - I doubt it. What would his aim be? (...) Have you been watching Rambo? Scott A (24 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: My Gun Control Rant

(...) How can you say that? What would the presence/absence of guns have to do with the social situation. There are no guarantees that government will not "turn bad". What I'm saying is that IF the social situation WERE to turn bad, you might (...) (24 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: My Gun Control Rant

(...) crappy gun (...) My personal recommendation would be to purchase the gun that is closest to your ideal and still within your price range. But I think it's better to have a $50 .32 revolver than nothing. And a gun has to be pretty screwed up to (...) (24 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  News to get your head spinning

Hi all, Recently a thread on duped dads sprouted from a news piece. Wow. That would really suck. How about this one? I think this sucks too. (URL) (24 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Family values?

"Christopher Weeks" <clweeks@eclipse.net> wrote in message news:G6t0JK.3Jw@lugnet.com... (...) or (...) Weeks (...) thread), (...) If (...) Chris, I just saw your note and will try to post something tomorrow. Take care, Steve (24 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  how police forces compare internationally? (was Re: My Gun Control Rant)

(...) Noted. I often wonder how police forces compare internationally. However, I expect it is a pretty hard thing to do due to cultural differences – this means that what constitutes a crime may change from state to state (e.g. trespassing is not (...) (24 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: My Gun Control Rant

(...) In this particular case, I CAN'T agree. There really is no reason for a crappy gun (that's just as liable to injure the user as the target) to exist. If you're going to buy a gun, you should buy a GOOD one, even if it's used and rebuilt. -- | (...) (24 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Foundation of a republic (was Gun control)

(...) That's quite amazing to me. Does he have to have a proverbial knife to your throat/bat to your skull before you're able to act, or is there some point at which his presence or actions are sufficient to infer forcible self-defense as an (...) (24 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Foundation of a republic (was Gun control)

(...) In the UK, the "potential danger" is almost nil. If I killed him in anything other than strict self defense, I'd be of to jail. See: (URL) If that (...) If he does not have the right to sue in the US... why/how does it happen? Scott A (...) (24 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Foundation of a republic (was Gun control)

(...) Oh. Well, you don't expect me to pay attention when I'm typing, to you? (...) I think you meant "they may have been wrong." Anyway, I'm not sufficiently well-versed in the Waco story, but there are many who identify the use of riot tanks as (...) (24 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Foundation of a republic (was Gun control)

(...) I was using what you said... "Branch Davidians _perceived_ a rampage". It may have been their "perception" - but they have been wrong. (...) In either case, s/he'd be breaking the law. That, however, does not mean I have the absolute right to (...) (24 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: My Gun Control Rant

(...) Ugh, ain't that the truth! My father once advised me that if I ever shot a burglar in my house who then managed to crawl outside, I should drag him back in and shoot him again to prevent such a lawsuit. (...) **snip** (...) Interesting. In the (...) (24 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: My Gun Control Rant

(...) Yes, if coupled with tort reform so I wasn't in mortal peril of losing all my posessions from a lawsuit brought by a burglar or mugger. (...) It's a small but non zero fear. I don't think it makes my days frightful and lonely, it just means (...) (24 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Foundation of a republic (was Gun control)

(...) But can't you say that about everything in a debate of this sort? And if you're going to make a relativist claim like that, then you undermine your own stance, as well. I perceive a burglar entering my home, but he perceives himself as a (...) (24 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact