 Off-Topic / Debate / 8574
Re: My Gun Control Rant
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 15:57:26 GMT

I go to the range enough that I don't often miss. But... the bullets I use
go through the body and then through the wall anyway, even if I don't miss.
I don't like to use something ineffectual.

Out of curiosity, would you be equally satisfied with a hypothetical
non-lethal weapon that nonetheless instantly and fully incapacitated its
target?

Yes, if coupled with tort reform so I wasn't in mortal peril of losing all
my posessions from a lawsuit brought by a burglar or mugger.

  Ugh, ain't that the truth!  My father once advised me that if I ever shot
a burglar in my house who then managed to crawl outside, I should drag him
back in and shoot him again to prevent such a lawsuit.

But then I fear for my life whenever I go on the road, which is all the
time, since I can't take my gun with me on an airplane. So I've learned to
deal with that. • **snip**
It's a small but non zero fear. I don't think it makes my days frightful and
lonely, it just means that I have to keep my wits about me when traveling,
and that I can't rely on the police for protection. (but that's true at home
as well)

  Interesting.  In the time between my post and yours I came up with a
light-hearted but not wholly inaccurate analogy:  as a result of my
years-long incarceration in the food service industry I have gained an
unsettling awareness of how things "really work" in otherwise clean-seeming
establishments.  As such, I always bear a tiny but undeniable anxiety when
eating out.  I'm not incapacitated by it, but it's definitely there...

But they're statistically much less likely to drag a football player from
his car and kill him for a routine traffic stop.

I agree, if we're talking NFL players. :-) However they're terrible at
controlling the fans tendency to go on wild rampages.

  I thought that was just a herd thing, like when wildebeests stampede or
something.  8^)

Note that when I say "particularly ineffective" I'm not claiming "more
ineffective than US police"

  Ah!  Good clarification!

     Dave!