 Off-Topic / Debate / *4741 (-20)
  Re: tm's and web browsers

On Fri, 10 Mar 2000 18:13:04 GMT Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote concerning 'tm's and web browsers': (...) after having to killall netscape once too many, I decided to try out mozilla - and so far, I do kinda like it... I think it's faster (...) (25 years ago, 10-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Adam & Eve (If ya can't beat 'em...)

Bill Farkas wrote in message ... (...) then (...) everything, (...) gives (...) not (...) here I (...) has (...) to (...) the (...) happen (...) God (...) have (...) read (...) ending of (...) Hypotheticallly speaking, I agree with both of yas. And (...) (25 years ago, 10-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) it? (...) fabric (...) Another very important aspect of this question is that Christianity is a rather peculiar religion when compared to other world religions in that it REQUIRES that it's followers evangelize their beliefs. There are very (...) (25 years ago, 10-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  tm's and web browsers

(...) The parallel is that it's hypocritical for someone to openly bastardize other product names and not expect others to bastardize one's own names, or at least to preach non-bastardization of one's own names while openly bastardizing other names. (...) (25 years ago, 10-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: 3. What exactly is bigotry? More definitions. Trolling admitted.

(...) Hipness? I'd say that's a worldly attribute, de-emphasized by our parents' (any given parents') generations. But I digress. Intellectual curiosity, attentiveness, and especially productivity are promoted by several churches, including my own. (...) (25 years ago, 10-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) Slow motion response. Sorry. An interesting scenario, but it doesn't seem to conflict with my supposition: i.e. he has no power other than the lie. It's not his most powerful weapon, it's his only weapon. Assuming of course, for the sake of (...) (25 years ago, 10-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) Yeah, I figured that was his point, but by claiming to know that not one of the christians knows they are saved, he's claiming knowledge without factual evidence to back it up - i.e. he believes that, just as they believe they're saved. James (...) (25 years ago, 10-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) if (...) And my point was that you can't claim to know they aren't saved either. For all you know, God does talk to each and every professed christian and influence them to act as they do. You are, in fact, *less* likely to know than they are. (...) (25 years ago, 10-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) My meaning was that it's not knowledge, it's faith. You don't *know* your saved until you experience it. If you mean some psychological transformation, fine, but nobody knows anything about the afterlife. It's all hearsay. You have to take (...) (25 years ago, 10-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Lugnet for beginners

(...) Maybe it is this sort of thing that does dilute trademarks, like parents telling their kids to run off and play with legos. Lego can try to cure the problem by asking us to stop using their name that way (they really tried back around 1980.) (...) (25 years ago, 10-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  4. Why are some nonbelievers admirable people?

(...) I'm not going to debate this, because there have been a lot. Just like the Christian has to ask "Why are some atheists, Mormons and Jews decent people?" (DUCK NOW!) the atheist wonders "Why are some Christians good people?" The reality is most (...) (25 years ago, 10-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  (canceled)

  3. What exactly is bigotry? More definitions. Trolling admitted.

(...) Well, I guess it was a troll. But I left off the really bad names! I don't think Christianity has much power to form character traits like intellectual curiosity, productivity, attentiveness, and hipness, so more second-generation Christians (...) (25 years ago, 10-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  2. The Good Life

(...) The Good Life. Aristotle said the good life was to become happy by pursuing the best goals, that is, to excel in whatever you are capable of. To be the best example of what you are. That you are the purpose of your own life, there is no higher (...) (25 years ago, 10-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  1. Vs. Original Sin

(...) I don't recall such a thing in any other creed. Is this article of faith meant to quibble with or clarify Paul? Not sure myself whether Paul is as important to Mormons, as he is to say Lutherans or Baptists (who make a very big deal out of (...) (25 years ago, 10-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Lugnet for beginners

(...) In the same way that calling Lego brand building blocks "legos" is trademark dilution. In the same way that calling facial tissue "Kleenex" is. Well, not precisely the same, because those usages probably aren't negative, just dilutive, but (...) (25 years ago, 10-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Lugnet for beginners

Moved to off-topic.debate (...) Huh? Maybe there's some facet of trademark law I'm unfamiliar with, but how is *discussing* a product, even in negative terms, a trademark dilution? Are you seriously suggesting that saying something negative (even as (...) (25 years ago, 10-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Lugnet for beginners

(...) I've (...) I believe his characterization of IE would fall under (political) parody and is therefore fair use. The other possibility is that he meant it as fact, which he would be completely justified as claiming, even in court. I'm not sure (...) (25 years ago, 10-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Why do we know all of this? (was Re: evolution)

(...) And, I must jump in, cause, well, I do, but if I remember my History of Anthropology course (if only I could find my notes!) it was actually Herbert Spencer (a wild and wacky social darwinist) coined that term. (25 years ago, 10-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Why do we know all of this? (was Re: evolution)

(...) Ack! >_<;; I took "The evolution of human nature" (aka intro to sociobiology) which the first third of the class focused on "real" evolution. Then in my "history of anthropology" (aka anthro theory) class, we started out with some of the (...) (25 years ago, 10-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact