 Off-Topic / Debate / 4739
Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 18:16:26 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Peter Callaway writes:

Here's another interesting thought. Out of all the religions in the world,
Christianity is one of the very very few (it may even be the only one) which
non-Christians actively try to disprove. Why is this so? If non-Christians
think it is such a waste of time why waste so much time trying to disprove
it?

It only stands to reason that non-Christians are the ones trying to disprove
Christianity.  Go to India, I'm sure you will find non-Hindus trying to
disprove Hinduism.  The more a religion tries to ingrain itself into the • fabric
of any culture, the more the non-believers are going to fight that particular
religion.  In the United States, that's Christianity.

Another very important aspect of this question is that Christianity is a rather
peculiar religion when compared to other world religions in that it REQUIRES
that it's followers evangelize their beliefs. There are very few major world
religions that make it part of their doctrine to actively seek to convert
non-believers (in some denominations, with or without their consent).

Buddhism is so primarily focused inwards that "conversion" rarely takes place.
It is expected that anyone who is ready for the Truth will actively seek it
out. I can't speak to Hindi, but I know several Hindus and have never even
heard them mention their faith, even though they know that I'm not "into" any
particular religion. Even among the other two Judeo-Christian faiths,
"evangelism" is not a particular virtue that is expected of it's followers...
Anybody ever been to a Jewish tent-revival? While almost all jewish temples
will accept converts, it is only after a good deal of study & education and
various rituals.  In many ways, Islam has a nearly Eastern attitude towards the
spread of the faith... "Inshallah" ('God willing').

My point is that perhaps one reason why Christianity is often the target of
debunkers is that Christians are always getting into other people's spiritual
business (I'm not just generalizing randomly here... every person I know who is
Christian has at some point made a point of trying to steer me towards
conversion... even when I tell them before hand that I am not interested).

So, the short answer to your question, Peter, is "Self Defense".  If I don't
want my children to be forced to study Christian Creationism in their science
classes, I have to make a point of fighting the spread of Christianity when
otherwise I would be perfectly content to leave it and it's followers to their
own business.

--Karim