 Off-Topic / Debate / 4733
Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 09:48:40 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Brown writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Erik Olson writes:
It's gotten quiet here, and we're off the lugnet.homepage. I'm going to see if
anything runs out of the bushes when I do this...

Are you lobbying to have this changed to lugnet.off-topic.troll?

All this splitting hairs & quoting Paul to rule on whether a sinner can be
saved and get away with sinning.... I sure hope you religious people intend
for your flocks to interpret this as having some relevance for what they do
right now. Because I'll tell you this: NOT ONE OF YOU knows if you're saved.

How do you know that?  Are you claiming omniscience?  You *believe* no one
knows if they're saved with the same apparant fervor that many christians
*believe* they are saved.  If you're going to tell the christians they don't
know better, don't fall into the same trap, or you look silly.

My meaning was that it's not knowledge, it's faith. You don't *know* your saved
until you experience it. If you mean some psychological transformation, fine,
but nobody knows anything about the afterlife. It's all hearsay. You have to
take other people's word for it, and how did they know? You can't fund a
laboratory, or study for 50 years, and gain one solitary perception of the
afterlife. It's not knowledge.

Harlan Ellison used to say "Nobody knows anything about the future!" In the
literal sense, he's right, you haven't been there yet. Everything else is
conjecture.