 Off-Topic / Debate / 4735
Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 16:14:36 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:

James Brown wrote in message ...
All this splitting hairs & quoting Paul to rule on whether a sinner can be
saved and get away with sinning.... I sure hope you religious people
intend for your flocks to interpret this as having some relevance for what
they do right now. Because I'll tell you this: NOT ONE OF YOU knows if
you're saved.

How do you know that?  Are you claiming omniscience?  You *believe* no one
knows if they're saved with the same apparant fervor that many christians
*believe* they are saved.  If you're going to tell the christians they
don't know better, don't fall into the same trap, or you look silly.

I think his point was relating to those Christians who believe that the
saving is something for the afterlife. In that case, he's mostly right. Of
course he's wrong about those Christians who believe that the saving is
something which can happen in your life, and affect that life. Like you
mention later, it is easy to come up with examples of people whose lives
were turned around for the better because of their faith (even if that
"faith" just means listening to what the priest or minister is telling you
about your life).

Yeah, I figured that was his point, but by claiming to know that not one of
the christians knows they are saved, he's claiming knowledge without factual
evidence to back it up - i.e. he believes that, just as they believe they're
saved.

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/
I'm getting paid for this --> alladvantage.com
Sign up via me, the reference $$ go to fund Lugnet.