 Off-Topic / Debate / *13736 (-20)
  Re: Slur used in Libertarian fliers (was Re: Fatwah)

(...) That proves he's not particularly libertarian, then. Small parties do sometimes have to take what they can get at local levels but I'd support his ouster. Unfortunately these sorts of organizational issues give ammo to foamers drawing (...) (23 years ago, 10-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: ScottFroth(tm) answered

(...) Nothing tangible then? (...) Don't be a fool. The truth is not about a popularity contest. Scott A (23 years ago, 10-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Gotta love Oracle...

(...) De facto or de jure? My experience has been that it is almost always de jure. <snip true (I have them too) account of horrific service and product offering> (...) No. Sans barriers to entry there are no natural monopolies. You have a (...) (23 years ago, 10-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Anyone else think this is a bad idea?

(...) Read for comprehension, Scott. Not saying any such thing. Dan is saying that all countries are equally bad. I just gave an example of a randomly selected country (just like I did the last time I asked Dan) that I think is less bad than Syria. (...) (23 years ago, 10-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  ScottFroth(tm) answered

(...) My basis for "not being convinced that we didn't get snookered" is lingering doubt that maybe, just maybe, bin Laden actually *was* the owner or part owner of that plant through some twisted chain, whether or not it was completely harmless or (...) (23 years ago, 10-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  "The Propaganda War" from the Economist

(URL) the subhead: "The shadow of Saddam" My opinion that the sanctions are not the CAUSE of Iraqi suffering is not some sort of lone voice in the wilderness, it's held by others as well. "The true cause of those deaths is Saddam. Although sanctions (...) (23 years ago, 10-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: PA censoring journalists again, but repudiating bin Laden...

(...) Indeed, a good deal of the staff worked for BBC Middle East. The Saudi's closed it down (it was based there) when they found it had a habit of telling the truth. Just after that al-Jazeera started up in Qatar - it was a natural move for the (...) (23 years ago, 10-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Violence created by presence of guns? (was: Gotta love Oracle...)

(...) In the large, more similar than different (and did I say "thank you Great Britain" yet today? Consider it said, and ditto for Canada, two true friends). But I think the point is that when comparing this particular facet, they are different (...) (23 years ago, 10-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Israel and Palestine

(...) And in that case and every one like it, I fully support return, with compensatory damages, if the claim is valid (sounds like it is.) (...) This sentence doesn't help present your case. (...) Agreed. I had thought they bought it from the (...) (23 years ago, 10-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Gotta love Oracle...

(...) But this is, in fact, false, in just about every case, except for the last mile on each end. Roads form a mesh and while there may not be space to build two parallel roads which are exactly equivalent in distance, that is not necessary. It is (...) (23 years ago, 10-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

"Scott A" <eh105jb@mx1.pair.com> wrote in message news:GKzrn5.JME@lugnet.com... (...) And so does the BBC. (give airtime to anti-American opinions) lawrence (23 years ago, 10-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: PA censoring journalists again, but repudiating bin Laden...

"Scott A" <eh105jb@mx1.pair.com> wrote in message news:GKzrn5.JME@lugnet.com... (...) There was an interview with the al-Jazeera interviewer who interviewed Tony Blair on BBC this morning. He was himself ex-BBC and said that most of his colleagues (...) (23 years ago, 10-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Gotta love Oracle...

(...) Subject to the usage agreements, of course. As Frank said, different companies would have different agreements. (...) Correct. Please note that if I were privatising things, roads would be far down the list, after many many many easier things (...) (23 years ago, 10-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Violence created by presence of guns? (was: Gotta love Oracle...)

(...) Exactly my point. I'd rather face, within my striking range, a mugger with a gun than with a knife. (...) Clearly all that you say above is correct. Again, my point was that in hand-to- hand combat (as I define mugging), you often have a (...) (23 years ago, 10-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Violence created by presence of guns? (was: Gotta love Oracle...)

(...) But the issue is "close quarters." A gun is more or less equally deadly (other than matters of aiming) at a range of ten feet or of one foot; both can therefore be considered close quarters for a gun-wielder, but it's hard to disarm someone (...) (23 years ago, 10-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Israel and Palestine

(...) I am not sure but we'll never know unless we start trying to figure out how to do it in detail. We would need to organise some set of stakeholders to sit down and do it (perhaps the folks from a particular small region) with the clear and (...) (23 years ago, 10-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Violence created by presence of guns? (was: Gotta love Oracle...)

(...) In close quarters, or in terms of hand-to-hand self-defense, a knife can often be deadlier than a gun. Based on what I've learned in self-defense classes, and from a bit of personal training by a friend who teaches martial arts, attempting a (...) (23 years ago, 10-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: PA censoring journalists again, but repudiating bin Laden...

Is this "censoring" really any worse than this: US urges curb on Arab TV channel (URL) has asked Qatar to reign in the influential and editorially independent Arabic al-Jazeera television station, which gives airtime to anti-American opinions. (...) (23 years ago, 10-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Gotta love Oracle...

(...) That's fine in a macroscopic sense, but it could easily mean that two whole populations of consumers get hosed in pursuit of that will-o-wisp named The Free Market. In my region, for instance, AT&T holds a de facto monopoly on cable service, (...) (23 years ago, 10-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Gotta love Oracle...

(...) You may not have space for a choice of roads, but people can chose where to live and work (or should be free to - free marketting the road system won't help if other parts of the economy are not free markets). (...) Probably true, though not (...) (23 years ago, 10-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact