 Off-Topic / Debate / 13731
13730  |  13732
Subject:
"The Propaganda War" from the Economist
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 15:38:04 GMT

http://www.economist.com/opinion/displayStory.cfm?Story_ID=806392

Note the subhead: "The shadow of Saddam"

My opinion that the sanctions are not the CAUSE of Iraqi suffering is not
some sort of lone voice in the wilderness, it's held by others as well.

"The true cause of those deaths is Saddam. Although sanctions contribute to
his country's impoverishment, it is he who has chosen to restrict the
distribution of food and medicine that is permitted by them, and facilitated
by an “oil-for-food” programme, both directly and by siphoning off some of
the resources for himself. "

and

"Nevertheless, the truth is that sanctions have failed, on two counts. They
have failed to bring down the Iraqi dictator. And they have allowed him to
win his own propaganda war, by associating America with dying children."

We should lift the sanctions, but not because we are at fault for anything,
but rather because they don't work as intended.