 Off-Topic / Debate / 13730
Re: PA censoring journalists again, but repudiating bin Laden...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 14:53:20 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lawrence Wilkes writes:

"Scott A" <eh105jb@mx1.pair.com> wrote in message news:GKzrn5.JME@lugnet.com...

Is this "censoring" really any worse than this:

US urges curb on Arab TV channel
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/americas/newsid_1578000/1578619.stm
==+==
Washington has asked Qatar to reign in the influential and editorially
independent Arabic al-Jazeera television station, which gives airtime to
anti-American opinions.
==+==

There was an interview with the al-Jazeera interviewer who interviewed Tony Blair on BBC this morning.

He was himself ex-BBC and said that most of his colleagues were BBC trained.

Indeed, a good deal of the staff worked for BBC Middle East. The Saudi's
closed it down (it was based there) when they found it had a habit of
telling the truth. Just after that al-Jazeera started up in Qatar - it was a
natural move for the staff.

I must admit, I had fell for the line that it was ObL’s mouthpiece. But the
more I read about it, the more I think that is not quite true.

Apparently he gave Tony Blair a hard time (I haven't seen this interview re-broadcast anywhere), and he said that he
though Tony Blair was very vague in some of his answers. In particular he said he was very vague about whether he
considered certain organisations in other Middle East areas such as Palestine and Syria to be terrorists or freedom
fighters. Not surprising though. The al-Jazeera interviewer said something along the lines of  what is disturbing the
Arab nations is not the invasion of Afganistan and going after bin-Laden, but the perceived threat that the US will go
after other terrorist organisations in that general area too but without being clear who they are yet.

Yes, I think I heard a list of the questions he was asked by them this
morning on R4. I did not hear his answers!

Scott A