 Off-Topic / Debate / 13729
Re: Violence created by presence of guns? (was: Gotta love Oracle...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 15:03:14 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lawrence Wilkes writes:

Because we don't have one doesn't mean our values, culture, etc are
that different.

In the large, more similar than different (and did I say "thank you Great
Britain" yet today? Consider it said, and ditto for Canada, two true friends).

But I think the point is that when comparing this particular facet, they are
different enough to invalidate the comparision if the alternative is to use
two US states, geographically and demographically similar, which differ only
in their gun laws, in your analysis.

And when you do that, you get more meaningful numbers. It's way easier to
import guns to alabama from georgia than to the UK from georgia (or
wherever). So saying that the UK (which HAS had a relatively effective gun
control program when you look at peaceful citizen ownership) has a lower
murder rate with guns isn't necessarily statisticially relevant to florida
or where ever.

I've been staying out of this subthread because my views are pretty clearly
known already.