 Off-Topic / Debate / 13718
Re: Gotta love Oracle...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 13:30:31 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:

I don't think ANY product requires a monopoly. Certain products may be
most efficient with localized monopolies, but so long as the overall
freedom of the market is high, a localized monopoly must still compete
with the localized monopoly of the same product in another region.

  That's fine in a macroscopic sense, but it could easily mean that two
whole populations of consumers get hosed in pursuit of that will-o-wisp
named The Free Market.  In my region, for instance, AT&T holds a de facto
monopoly on cable service, and as such they charge a bundle for really
substandard offerings (does anyone truly want a classic golf channel, a
classic hockey channel, and a classic boxing channel?  I surely don't, but I
have to pay for them if I want anything more than basic cable).  Locally,
therefore, the monopoly power sets the market and charges whatever it feels
like charging.  I suppose one could make an argument for satellite tv, but
in an area in which most of the populace pays rent rather than owning
property, the installation of an obtrusive dish is not an option.  (I know,
I know: they could buy property and install whatever they like, but that
comes back to my perennial problem with this aspect of the free market model.)
  So it seems to me that the "free" market being proposed is only "free" of
government contol but would embrace the authoritarian control of a single,
private, monopoly power--correct?

     Dave!