 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1042
Re: Review of LotRs Prancing Pony
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Mon, 5 Nov 2001 15:07:45 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Paul Maxwell writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Dave Schuler writes:

I plan to pick up most of the product line, but I haven't seen any of it
locally yet.  Where in the TRU did you find them?  The folks at my local
shop don't know anything about them, although I anticipate that the sets
might show up near the LotR action figures, rather than in the construction
brick aisle...

I found them in the construction brick area on the shelf above the Best-Lock
sets.

  I picked up the Prancing Pony set this weekend and was pleasantly
surprised.  While the design is very simple, and the piece:price ratio isn't
great regardless of talking Blox, the number of 2x4 bricks is impressive.
As I mentioned elsewhere, this one Intelli-Blox set has more 2x4 bricks than
the entire LEGO Harry Potter line combined.
  Further, the quality of the plastic is great.  I'd never examined Tandem
bricks before, but they appear to be of nearly equal quality to LEGO bricks,
and certainly on par with TYCO Superblocks.  The colors are rich and the
bricks connect solidly to one another.  Overall the feel of the plastic is
very much like LEGO; though I'm a great fan of Ritvik, it can't be denied
that MegaBloks plastic has a different sound and feel.
  As you mentioned, the door, fireplace, and window bricks have great
potential in castle designs, and even the bench and table might see use.
I'm not sure I want to drop another $35, much less $80, for these kits, but
I'll almost certainly pick up some of the smaller ones.

     Dave!