 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2795
Re: Review of LotRs Prancing Pony
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2006 19:10:09 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Paul Maxwell wrote:
   I bought the Prancing Pony set at TRU over the weekend for $34.00. It comes with 220 usable pieces that are good quality (I know almost 16 cents apiece). That’s a lot for parts to use on other constructions, but if you want different colors and other unique items then it might be worth buying. The figures (as reported earlier, are not usable including their weapons. It is a little big for minifigs, so I will no doubt redesign this.

The baseplate is 24x34 and dark gray (not as dark as Lego dark gray). The basic bricks come in dark brown and dark tan (both darker than Lego) all marked on the stud with what looks like an anchor with a dot on each side of it http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery/cgi?i=67162 . Thanks to Rob Doucette for posting the image in post 32763. From the discussion I believe these are Tandem bricks, which makes sense as both Tandem and Playmates are out of Hong Kong.

The Door is 6 wide and 11 high. It would be great for a city gate if you had 2 of them.

The fireplace is 8 wide, 2 deep, and 6 high. Very usable.

Two of the windows are 6 wide, 2 deep, and 7 high. These would be good for a church, palace or library.

Another windo is 4 wide, 2 deep, and 6 high.

4x4 round window is cool, as is the Prancing Pony sign.

This set has more pieces than the Isengard Caverns ($34.00) set, which along with Mines of Moria ($79.99) were available. At the very least I plan to buy some of the smaller sets when they make it to the shelves.

I don’t know that this exactly qualifies as breaking news, but I just stumbled upon a nice review of this set, complete with good, clear pictures. Read it here, if you’re interested.

The whole Intelli-Blox Lord of the Rings series was basically doomed from the outset because it had no marketing support whatsoever, and the prices were outrageously high what your dollar got you. Honestly, I couldn’t care less about magical voice technology; the sets were pretty cool but the sculpted figures are close to useless for me. They’d have been much better off marketing a line of minifig-scale sets with Mega Bloks- and LEGO-compatible weapons and accessories.

An opportunity missed!

Dave!