 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1138
1137  |  1139
Subject:
Prancing Pony $7.44 at Target (Was Re: Review of LotRs Prancing Pony)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 04:18:01 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Dave Schuler writes:

I picked up the Prancing Pony set this weekend and was pleasantly
surprised.  While the design is very simple, and the piece:price ratio isn't
great regardless of talking Blox, the number of 2x4 bricks is impressive.
As I mentioned elsewhere, this one Intelli-Blox set has more 2x4 bricks than
the entire LEGO Harry Potter line combined.
Further, the quality of the plastic is great.  I'd never examined Tandem
bricks before, but they appear to be of nearly equal quality to LEGO bricks,
and certainly on par with TYCO Superblocks.  The colors are rich and the
bricks connect solidly to one another.  Overall the feel of the plastic is
very much like LEGO; though I'm a great fan of Ritvik, it can't be denied
that MegaBloks plastic has a different sound and feel.
As you mentioned, the door, fireplace, and window bricks have great
potential in castle designs, and even the bench and table might see use.
I'm not sure I want to drop another $35, much less $80, for these kits, but
I'll almost certainly pick up some of the smaller ones.

Hey, at Target's 75% clearance today I managed to find a Prancing Pony Inn for
$7.44 (also a Buckleberry Ferry for $3.74), so you guys may want to take a look
if you get a chance (although I saw even fewer LOTR sets than I did LEGO--
these were the only two I found).  Couldn't find the ones that have broccoli
for trees BTW.

I too am impressed by the quality.  Plus it was extremely well packaged, so
pieces don't tend to move around and get scuffed like LEGO pieces (it was a
real heartbreaker to open some of those Poolside Paradise sets to find the big
clear bubble windows were scratched from bouncing around in the box!).  And the
instructions come sealed in a plastic bag! I'm also impressed by the selection
of pieces-- two large bags of basic bricks in brown and tan.  The other pieces
are interesting architectural elements.  The torches are Playmobilesque, but I
like Playmobil!  The figures take getting used to, but it seems they (and these
sets) might have some collector value because of the LOTR connection and how
they look.

Can't comment on building it yet because I won't have time til at least the
weekend.

But really, you ought to check Target if you're into clones (and I assume you
are if you read this!).

Maggie C.