 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1041
Re: New Construction Toy In LDraw Format
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Mon, 5 Nov 2001 14:30:20 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Richard Marchetti writes:
I haven't resolved the aforementioned issues, but I did spend more time with
the clones in the various LDraw programs.

  Writing them, I primarily used a text editor, LEdit, and L3Lab.  I'm not
entirely comfortable with the way MLCad displays on my tiny monitor, so I
didn't examine the clones too thoroughly in that system.  Do you know what
that error message means?
  As far as the problem with C020103C.DAT, I noticed that there's a line I
should have deleted.  You can delete it yourself, or you can download the
fix (and a few others) in a couple of days once I've uploaded them.  The
973.dat error isn't a clone, I'm afraid, so I can't help you there...

I probably would not have made the effort to make the MB minifigure, or to
have included what I am identifying as Best-Lock elements

  The main reason I did the MB figure was simply to have someone to put
alongside models rendered using clone.dats, and the finished product isn't
too finished yet; there are some inaccuracies in the legs that I'll probably
address soon.  On the whole, I'm not thrilled with Best-Lock, so I won't be
rendering too many more parts from that system, although I wanted to include
a few of the (I think) cooler pieces.  The compatability issues are a
problem, though...

but the other MB and Tyco stuff is SUPERB!  Probably WAY MORE than sufficient
to meet my needs.  And all the Tyco parts of interest seem to be there except
for perhaps the sword, axe, space dome, and castle cone. I guess on the MB
side there is the flame element, Lion scepter, hammer, witch broom, and longer
term maybe the winged lion and griffon.

  The biggest problem with clone brands is that they make a lot of use of
curved surfaces that are beyond my amateur's skill to render.  Likewise some
of the intricate pieces like the scepter, but I'll try to do the hammer and
broom as soon as I can find those pieces in my collection again.  No
promises  about the lion and griffon.
  The second biggest problem I have in modelling those TYCO parts is that I
don't own some of them, but I'm working on the space dome and a few other
rounded parts like it.

Is that the Blockmen rubber gun?  You're insane!!!

  Heh.  Most of the guns, except for an old-timey pistol and rifle, are
Block-Men.  I especially like the huge gun and the gatling pistol, so let's
just say that my insanity was focused!

A thousand thanks! =)

  You're welcome--you can show your appreciation by posting some renderings!
  Thanks very much for the feedback and kind words.  Initially the
clone.dats were just a pet project, but I'm gratified to see someone else
getting use out of them.

     Dave!